The CDSMP is a community workshop designed to give people with chronic conditions (such as arthritis, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, asthma, etc.) and/or their caregivers the knowledge and skills needed to take a more active role in their health care.
Participants learn healthier ways to live, gain confidence and motivation to manage their health and feel more positive about life. The program goal is to help people choose healthy behaviors they would like to follow and design strategies for inco rporating these behaviors into daily life.
- Participants will learn how to manage their chronic conditions using techniques to control pain, fatigue, emotions, etc.
- Participants will recognize theearly signs and symptoms of depression.
Increasing Communication Skills
- Participants will learn effective ways to work with their health care professional
- Participants will learn how to navigate the health care system.
Positively Changing Behavior
- Participants will learn how their life-style choices and behaviors impact their health.Participants will learn how to use new tools and feel empowered to manage their healthcare, particularly regarding their use of medications.
- Lesson One: Overview of self-management and chronic health conditions
- Lesson Two: Problem solving techniques; benefits of physical activity; preventing falls
- Lesson Three: Decision making strategies; reducing pain and fatigue; relaxation techniques
- Lesson Four: Better breathing; good nutrition; communication skills
- Lesson Five: Medications and making treatment decisions
- Lesson Six: Working more effectively with health care providers
Take Control of Your Health - Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
Number of Sessions
6 (1.5hour) sessions
Program Services Include:
Curricula materials; Evaluation
You may view the PDF version of the Program Brochure.